RPS LPF Advances in the treatment and management of diabetes
15th April 2019 7.00pm refreshments for 7.30pm start, approximate finish 9pm
John Lister Postgraduate Centre, Wexham Park Hospital (entrance 4) Slough SL3 6LY
Topic and Speaker: Advances in the treatment and management of diabetes by Dr Alireza Mohammadi, Consultant physician in General Internal Medicine with sub speciality in Diabetes and Endocrinology.
Dr Mohammadi’s initial research was on cardiac valves. He then completed his 5 year training in diabetes and endocrinology in Oxford and is lead consultant at Wexham Park Hospital. He is an honorary consultant in Oxford University Hospitals and teaches trainee doctors in the Oxford Deanery. He attends CCG meetings on diabetes management in Slough and Windsor and is involved with clinical trials in diabetes at King Edward hospital, Windsor.
His talk will include 3 main items:
- History of diabetes type 2 and its management
- The current exciting time of diabetes management
- Our expectations in managing type 2 diabetes for the next few years
Learning outcomes are:
- Quick review of the journey of insulin, sulphonyl urea, Metformin, TZDs
- Gut and diabetes: Incretin effect and DPP4 inhibitors and GLP 1 Agonists
- Kidney and Diabetes: SGLT2 inhibitors
- Side effects of new medications
- New Cardiovascular outcome trials and their importance in management of type 2
- Remission of diabetes type 2: Bariatric surgery, low calorie diet
Note: This meeting is open to non-members and both members and non-members should register via the RPS website under Thames Valley LPF. If anyone is having problems registering, please contact Jane Nicholson advising that they wish to attend (firstname.lastname@example.org) and indicating whether they would like refreshments.
NEW Car parking instructions at the hospital – Entrance 4 is to the South side of the Hospital in Wexham Park Lane (marked psychiatry and maternity) off Church Lane. Please note that the car park in front of the Postgraduate Centre is for staff only! The new parking instructions are to turn into Entrance 4 as before and then drive straight